16 February 2009

sharing the wealth



When I was born, there was another baby who needed milk & his mom was unable to feed him, so my mom did (at the hospital's request, as there were some sort of special circumstances)...I've never nursed someone else's baby, but I have donated my milk to a baby who's mom was undergoing chemo.
What about you - would you do this for another? If your baby were very hungry and you couldn't feed her, would you welcome someone else doing it? I know there are questions of health etc. (in the case of my donation, medical questions were asked of me), but I'm talking about how this feels to you, in your heart? I say yes & yes.

Thanks to Cooler Than The Cat for posting...

3 comments:

Nanda Mama said...

I know people who have fed others babies and I would feed a hungry child - of course I would. There have been many moments when I have heard crying and unhappy children and I've wanted to nurse them, right there and comfort them. I also get the stigma attached to having a black woman sit down and nurse another person's child. There has to be room to heal history.

DoulaMomma said...

I had that desire the other day - a fussy baby & I ached a little...my first impulse was wanting to nurse him.
I get what you are saying & also realize that I hadn't thought of the cultural/historical implications at all. Milk's the same color though...

Anonymous said...

i say yes and yes. but being posed the question in this exact way makes me realize something. i have an easier time with the image of myself feeding another mother's child than with the image of another mother feeding my child. reminding me once again how easy it is to make these things about ourselves instead of about our children. and how important it is to put the focus where it belongs. thanks, kim!