18 August 2008

sweetie

Sweetie. That's the generic term of endearment I call my kids. I sometimes say it with clenched teeth when I want to call them anything but something dear. I imagine, or tell myself in order to feel better, that anyone with more than one kid, or at least more than two, must rely on pet names because it's tough to remember who you're talking to sometimes. Or is it just me? Early onset losing-my-mind? Like a caricature of a harried mom, I sputter through all of their names before landing on the right one and frequently end up saying, "you know who I'm talking to!" So "sweetie" or "lovey" are my defaults. Almost never "honey", but sometimes "doodle-do" or "my friend" (our babysitter has claimed "pumpkin").

Does this make me as bad as some L&D nurses who just call birthing couples "mom" & "dad" instead of their names? Guess I'm in no position to judge.

7 comments:

carriex3 said...

so true, love it..........
Yes the pics are of the kiddos as babies:)
Carrie

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of "sweet babboo" and "puddin' pop" for my boys. Haven't thought of anything good for the girl yet.
-Amie

DoulaMomma said...

"babboo" - used to use that one all the time - must put it back in circulation!

Sarah said...

Having one child is no guarantee that you'll call everyone the right name... I sometimes call my husband "Leah"! Oops.

DoulaMomma said...

Fair enough, Sarah...maybe just a general "hey, you" to whomever you mean! ;-)

Anonymous said...

my mom said, "Baby" to my 3 year old and he said, "Why did you call me 'baby'?"
She said, "because i like you."
he said, "Oh, i thought you wanted me to do something."

DoulaMomma said...

he's hip to the power of manipulation through flattery already! ;-)