12 September 2008

Ike: what about the birthing women?


Whenever I hear about an impending disaster, I always think about the women who are very pregnant, in labor or newly postpartum...and of course, the babies.
Ugh - the news on Hurricane Ike looks terrible.

To remind myself that small miracles happen, I'm remembering back to the story that got me through my own second labor: the woman in Mozambique who labored and birthed in a tree while flood waters raged. For my whole labor, I kept thinking, I can do this - if that woman could give birth in a tree during a flood, I can labor in this tub.

I'm hoping for a big miracle for the Gulf Coast of Texas...but if a big miracle doesn't happen (and it looks like it won't) then I pray for many small ones. I will hold good thoughts for everyone in Ike's path, with special prayers for the birthing women and babies.

No comments: