18 September 2008

The Other Side of the Glass


Through Facebook & another blog, I learned of an upcoming birth film/documentary, The Other Side of the Glass, that will focus on how we treat babies at birth, as well as the fathers'/co-parents'/partners' experience in typical births. The film will be out in early 2009, but there is this powerful, heavy trailer for now...well worth watching. It might freak you out, but I would challenge you to watch and see how you might incorporate the information into classes you teach, births you attend as a doula or midwife or in planning for your own birth experience.

I am a bit troubled by the emphasis on it being a birth film for *fathers* specifically. Though it does not diminish for me the importance of the topic, I do wish there was some recognition that not all babies are born to a mother + father pair. This is just the trailer - maybe the actual film will be more expansive.

This is vital information. As they say, peace on earth begins with birth. I really believe that. Here's to peace.

5 comments:

carriex3 said...

really amazing, very cool...
Carrie

Sarah said...

That was hard to watch. So many things we take for granted, not realizing the potential effect.

DoulaMomma said...

yes - very hard to see. We do our best with what we know at the time - it's all anyone can do.

Janel Baby Keeper said...

Thank you, DoulaMomma for posting my film trailer here and supporting the film.

I will answering these questions on my blog(s) --- www.theothersideoftheglass.blogspot.com
and www.hospitalbirthdebate.blogspot.com.

I will be on a radio show Saturday at 5 Pm Central Time and you can stream it live online. www.kopn.org. It will be available on podcast later in the archives.

Here is a notice from one of the radio hosts, Jesca:


The gifted and courageous creator of this poignant film, Janel Martin, will be one of our guests this Saturday at 5pm on Kore Issues (www.kopn.org 89.5 fm).

It is my sentiment that every adult should watch this film, regardless of their gender or whether they will be, are, or are not a parent, regardless of their age or stage in life. We all were given life by the combination of a man and woman. We were all at one time an infant. We carry with us all we have experienced from conception whether consciously or subconsciously.

This accepted ignorance or "conscience comforting" idea of thinking babies don't remember or that what happens in womb/in labor/in birth and there after does not continually effect the parents and their relationship with their young has got to end. To me what this film addresses is a big part of the kore reason so many families are falling apart everywhere today. The family is the microcosm of the world human family so healing and changing this is crucial to us all in this world. If one part of humanity is ailing the rest is not the same nor can it reach it's potential.

This is needed and I am compelled to let everyone I know, know about it. I highly recommend you watch this trailor now, and the film when it is completed. As with anything, it is your choice whether you watch it, what you think of it, and whether you share it with others or not. If you do watch it and you are not a robot, prepare for the strong chance that you will feel many different emotions (I now I did) and to probably be awakened to a new understanding of what is happening in regard to this issue (I know I was).

Finally, a birth film for men. A film to empower fathers to protect their babies. By L. Janel Martin

Thank you Janel, you are a true Katalyzt ; ) and you honor us all by your devoted service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVf4rzam0Xo

DoulaMomma said...

"it is my sentiment that every adult should watch this film, regardless of their gender or whether they will be, are, or are not a parent, regardless of their age or stage in life."

agreed! Thanks for your comment.