11 October 2008

breastfeeding, oh my!


The UK's Daily Mail says of Angelina Jolie's cover on W, "the revealing new portrait taken by partner Brad Pitt for W magazine Angelina shared an astonishingly private moment with the public."

Really? Yes, apparently, since some (and here too) seem to be quite troubled. A psychotherapist commented for the article, "The problem is that she is also an international sex symbol. So whether or not she says 'This is a beautiful way of nurturing my baby', every man who sees that photo will see those breasts as sexual."

Good God, people. She's feeding a baby. If that were so "astonishingly private", many of us would never have gotten out of our houses for years! I mean, I know I'm no international sex symbol, but I maintain that a baby nursing is about love and nourishment and biology...if some find it too sexy, well isn't that really their problem?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

It absolutely is their problem, though of course many do not realize that. More visibility of the boob in all its normal glory will, ultimately, lead to greater acceptance. The fact that it's in the media these days as an "issue" bodes well, I think.

DoulaMomma said...

Agreed - since I know my kids can get desensitized to violence by seeing too much on TV, then I suppose people can get desensitized to seeing breasts doing what they were meant to do...

Anonymous said...

Ugh...I'm so sick of hearing about breastfeeding boobs being "too sexy".

Get over it people! It's a baby and a mama!

It's definitely their prob if this is too "exciting" for them to handle.

DoulaMomma said...

I'm totally with you on that, Corin!