28 October 2008

please

Words can't express how worried I am about voter suppression and tampering. It's one thing for a candidate to lose fair & square, but quite another for a country to feel that an election was stolen from them. There are many people, myself among them (big surprise!), who feel that that happened in 2000. It took a long while for some of us to get back to a place of feeling that they could make a difference.
This election has been so incredible in terms of grass roots efforts and voter involvement. I have spent a great deal of time at calling parties and Obama campaign HQ just calling volunteers to mobilize other volunteers...and all the while more people were walking in and asking to be put to work. People are desperate for lawn signs or stickers.
People want a piece of history, yes...but I also think they want to truly believe that they have a stake in the future of our country.
Stories of rigged machines, people being told by the GOP that the election is actually Novemeber 5th and all sorts of potential butterfly ballots for 2008 are surfacing.
I pray that my candidate wins, but more than anything, I pray that whomever wins, the results are beyond reproach. I fear for our country if fraud is discovered.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Gallo said...

SCARY! Did you see The Rachel Maddow Show tonight? She did a segment on student voter suppression, which is huge this year.

DoulaMomma said...

I didn't see it - I'm sure I can find it on Huffington. arrgg...I can't take much more stuff to be freaked out about!!

carriex3 said...

I agree, it needs to be honorable...
Fairness is necessary.........
Carrie