18 November 2008

Motrin tweet

Wow - so the Motrin thing is big enough news that public radio station WNYC's Brian Lehrer had on NY Times columnist Virgina Heffernan on today to talk about the offending ad and the way that new technology (in this case, Twitter) is changing the way consumers and companies interact. Within hours of the ad, moms united, sent thousands of messages to the company and the ad was pulled. Apparently the company was likely marketing to an Urban Baby-type crowd (judged by Virginia Heffernan to be a bit more cynical, less "sincere" mothers who would respond well to the ad) but misjudged how other moms would take it. Here's a compilation of twitter tweets...

The interesting part (to me) was that what overwhelmingly came out of the whole thing was not that people don't like the product anymore or want to just come out as pro-sling, but rather that companies need "CMOMs" - ie., more mothers in high places in companies to give a mom perspective. Good point.

4 comments:

Nanda Mama said...

I was in the car and was not able to get to your site on my phone to post about Brian Lehrer - but of course you beat me too it you blogging goddess!

I finally saw the ad and it is poorly done and just plain stupid! "Stupid" is a technical term :)!

Big smooches

DoulaMomma said...

ah - the network is out there - fellow doula Lynn was in her car & gave me the heads up so I could tune in to Brian!

Unknown said...

I'm impressed. The word was spread, the voices united, and presto chango, we have made a difference! Imagine what else we could make a difference in if we united like that?! Oh wait, we did, on Nov. 4th, silly me. ;)

DoulaMomma said...

"Oh wait, we did, on Nov. 4th, silly me. ;)"

high five!