25 November 2008

use your BRAIN


Was just reading about the BRAIN method of asking questions in labor at Crunchy Mom...she wrote:
if she wants to ask her doctor about the procedures discussed by using the B.R.A.I.N. acronym. That empowers her to ask about the benefits, risks, and alternatives to any procedure. Then we talk about what her intuition is telling her and ask if the intervention has to be done now. Then she has the power to make an informed consent.
I hadn't used the acronym before when suggesting these questions, but I will now!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

It's a wonderful tool! I learned it in my DONA training.

Thanks for sharing it with others.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, in labour, I don't think I'd remember.

Anonymous said...

When I learned it as BRAINED, the "n" stands for 'nothing' which I love because I think so many 'problems' or 'challenges' in labor can be solved simply by waiting -- taking no (interventive) action! N is my favorite letter in the mnemonic device... Lynn